Join us for an online event featuring youth from the frontline of the climate crisis to share their ideas for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
Thursday, July 9
12:00 – 13:30 PM EST
The meeting of the high-level political forum (HLPF) on sustainable development in 2020 will be held July 7-16. The HLPF annual meeting is the core United Nations platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals. 47 countries will carry out voluntary national reviews (VNRs) of their implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
Peace Boat will be holding a side-event at the HLPF, “Youth Engagement in the SDGs during the Pandemic: Voices from the Frontline of the Climate Crisis”
The event will focus on “Protecting the planet and building resilience,” with emphasis on SDG13 for Climate Action. To achieve “the decade of action,” it is critical that youth be at the center of policy and decision-making. “Transformative pathways” for youth empowerment and innovation to reach a wider audience, the importance of building networks for youth, as well as new challenges as a result of the pandemic, will be discussed. We will hear from youth working for the 2030 Agenda in their own communities from countries which are presenting their VNRs this year, in particular Small Island Developing States (SIDS).
- H.E. Ms. Penelope Beckles, Permanent Representative of Trinidad & Tobago to the United Nations
- Ms Khadija Stewart, Peace Boat Ocean and Climate Youth Ambassador from Trinidad & Tobago
- Mr Sage Base, Peace Boat Ocean and Climate Youth Ambassador from Barbados
- Mr Avinash Pratap Singh, Youth for the SDGs Scholar from India
- Mr Chet Monday, Director of Youth Engagement, March for Science
- Mr Hatim El Otmani, Founder and President of Atlas For Development and African Youth Climate Hub Ambassador
- Ms Laura Hildebrandt, UN SDG Action Campaign
- Ms Jessie Turner, Ocean Acidification Alliance
- Emilie McGlone, Director of Peace Boat US
+ more to be announced soon . . .