Action for the Oceans is a youth leadership storytelling program for climate activists, launching on the United Nations World Oceans Day 2021, created through a collaboration between Peace Boat US and Pendulum, a creative changency.
Climate change and the state of the oceans are reaching a critical point for humanity and the planet. People are aware of the future and need inspiration to find solutions and learn about what actions they can take to make a difference. Youth leaders around the world are doing amazing work when it comes to addressing the challenges our oceans are facing.
ACTION FOR THE OCEANS is an online & hybrid exhibit launching during the week of the United Nations World Oceans Day on June 8, 2021.
The theme for 2021 is “The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods”
Through a storytelling training program, ACTION FOR THE OCEANS will bring the voices of inspiring youth activists to the doorstep of the public, engaging them in meaningful, accessible actions.
How does it all work?
Remarkable youth activists will go through a storytelling training program, focusing on innovative solutions to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 14: Life Below Water.
Our activists will create media campaigns, aiming to raise awareness and engage the public in meaningful, accessible actions for helping the oceans.
The fruits of our first cohort will be featured online and presented in a hybrid gala event at Selina Chelsea Hotel (NYC), launching on United Nations World Oceans Day 2021
Our youth leaders – aspiring youth climate activists from all over the world
Khadija Stewart, Trinidad & Tobago
I am an enthusiastic environmentalist, driven by love for water. My biggest passion is sharing the importance of water through content creation and powerful storytelling initiatives to mobilize the youth. My main goal is to create eco-conscious citizens so they can be the change that this world needs.
- Founder of the environmental blog – Ecovybz and Ecovybz Environmental Creatives.
- BSc in Environmental and Natural Resource Management; MSc in Sustainable Development with Management Studies and MSc in Climate Change and Development.
- Communications lead for the World Youth Parliament for Water.
- Represented Trinidad and Tobago at the 8th World Water Forum with the World Youth Parliament for Water, during the Peace Boat Ocean and Climate Youth Ambassador Program and at the Our Ocean Youth Leadership Summit in Oslo with Sustainable Ocean Alliance.
Ahneil Jeffers, Montserrat
I am the opposition leader in the Montserrat youth Parliament and one of Peace Boat’s Ocean and Climate Youth Ambassadors.
My biggest passion is self-improvement and public speaking.
My main goal is to empower youth in Montserrat.
- Co-founder of a local environmental group to raise awareness about environmental issues Active member of SYAH Seychelles and The Ocean Project Seychelles.
- Organised events for International disabilities Day for the disabled community in Seychelles Awarded “The most valuable student” as part of “The Eco-school”.
- Advanced open water diving, reef survey, and Terrestrial surveying certified.
- Volunteers with Fish n’ Fins, a non-profit organization based in Montserrat which teaches children swimming, ocean awareness and conservation.
- Leading a project to restart the Montserrat Youth Parliament to empower youth in the country.
- One of the 25 young climate experts for Building Bridges for Climate Action (BB4CA), supported by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety.
- Worked alongside a multitude of NGOs, such as the Waitt institute, Coral Cay Conservation and Aqua Montserrat, travelling to over 10 countries across 3 continents to represent Montserrat on environmental, social and other matters.
Zana Kristen Wade, Belize
I am a Sustainable Development Advocate and Certified Conservation Leader in the Caribbean. My biggest passion is promoting opportunities for youth across Belize and showcasing activism through media. My main goal is to be a steward for the world by helping to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Associate Development Coordination Officer for Communications and Advocacy at the Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator (UNRCO) in Belize.
- Ocean & Climate Youth Ambassadors for Japan’s Peace Boat’s young leaders’ program
- Worked as program Director at World Merit and as a communications consultant for the UNDP, BIOFIN, NPAS and GOB SDU.
- Co-founder of The Climate Express – an initiative to help vulnerable communities across the world fight the growing pressures of climate change.
- A Commission Member for the IUCN Commission on Education and Communication (CEC), as well as an Associate Fellow under the Royal Commonwealth Society (RCS).
- Fellow under the Conservation Leadership in the Caribbean Program (CLiC) under which she co-founded REEFCR, an initiative that has helped to restore a 250m2 area in La Piramide reef, off the northeastern coast of San Andres, Colombia.
Eyal Kapulnik, Israel
I am a guide to the marine environment. My biggest passion is to accompany people on a journey to the water and seas. My main goal is to maintain healthy seas and oceans.
- Active in various youth movements and learned about the therapeutic side of the ocean through sailing with groups with special needs.
- Part of an Oceans Watch ecology research & humanitarian aid expedition.
- Works as emergency oil pollution volunteer.
- Coordinator with Ecoocean as well as a freediving instructor.
- Holds BSc in Marine Biology.
- Worked in marine conservation with youth and adults.
Genevieve Jiva, Fiji
I am a pacific diplomacy enthusiast. My biggest passion is advocating for strong action on climate change. My main goal is strengthening Pacific youth capacity in climate policy.
- Member of the Pacific Islands Climate Action Network (PICAN) since 2015, and was their policy officer in the lead up to COP23, participating in the Climate Change Conference in Bonn.
- President of the volunteer steering committee at WWF Pacific Volunteers Program.
- Peace Boat’s Ocean and Climate Youth Ambassadors (2018).
Juan Sebastian Huertas Olea, Colombia
I am a Social entrepreneur from Colombia. My biggest passion is political and social change. My main goal is to strengthen the abilities of young people working to build peace in the world’s most violent regions.
- Peace Boat Youth for the UN SDGs scholar (2018).
- Peace Generation Change Fellow and met the 14th Dalai Lama.
- Co-founder of Origen de Paz Conducting workshops on SDGs in Colombia, Venezuela, Pakistan, Mexico talking about different issues related to climate change, peace building and economic growth.
La Tisha Parkinson, Trinidad and Tobago
I am an island girl, working at the intersection of education and ocean conservation. My biggest passion is people. My main goal is to ensure everyone has the ability to live their best lives.
- Peace Boat Ocean and Climate Youth Ambassador (2017).
- Holds a Bachelors of Science in Biology from the University of the West Indies.
- Working with the Environmental Research Institute of Charlottesville on MPA stakeholder consultation and fisherfolk communication training on a UNESCO Man and the Biosphere Site.
Shafira Charlette, Seychelles
I am a environmental activist promoting and advancing youth-led sustainable development projects. My biggest passion is the environment, oceans and animal welfare. My main goal is encouraging young people to engage in environmental and youth activities.
- Peace Boat Ocean and Climate Youth Ambassador (2017).
- Board member of SIDS Youth AIMS Hub (SYAH-Seychelles), which “Seychelles Free from Plastic Bag Campaign” campaign lead to the country’s complete ban of single-use plastic bag.
- Represented the youth of her country at the UN Ocean Conference.
- Took part in ‘Academy by the Sea” Program project of Marine Conservation Society Seychelles (MCSS) along with the Save Our Seas Foundation.
- Co-founder of Go Now. Seychelles (gonowsey.com) funded by SeyCCAT.
Jake Lasi, Timor-leste
I am a divemaster, swim and snorkeling teacher, activist for the oceans. My biggest passion is environmental protection both in theory and practice. My main goal is Promoting marine tourism as an alternative revenue for the country.
- The ocean is Jake’s church, school and passion.
- President and Founder of the Joventude ba Dezenvolvimentu Nasional (Youth for National Development) since 2012.
- Dive master.
- Former Marine Field Assistant at Conservation International in Timor-Leste.
- Participated in several international meetings, including the 2014 Waste Management Study Tour in Japan and the International Conference for Climate Change in 2017.
- Worked across a range of sectors including health with the UN Mission and USN Mercy.
Silvia Cantu, Mexico
I am an Advanced PADI certified scuba diver and professional photographer. My biggest passion is marine conservation and youth education. My main goal is to utilize the power of storytelling for social and climate justice.
- Born and raised in Mexico, lived in Canada, the US, and Brazil.
- Peace Boat Youth for the UN SDGs scholar (2019).
- A Climate Reality Leader of The Climate Reality Project.
- Ocean Youth Leader of the Sustainable Ocean Alliance.
- LCOY Mexico 2020 Youth Delegate.
- Intern for Peace Boat US to help organize the events of the UNWOD2020.
Eve Isambourg, Mauritius
I am a surfer, artist, photographer and writer. My biggest passion is Environmental Communication. My main goal is to encourage others to take better care of ourselves, each other and the planet, in order to reconnect to what really matters and where we are from.
- Peace Boat’s Ocean and Climate Youth Ambassador (2018).
- Founder of #IspeakBlueToo campaign to support the UN World Oceans Day, supported by UNESCO.
- Took part in various projects raising awareness about the ocean, joining forces with local heroes, island voices, surfer communities, and Ocean Conservation NGOs in France, Mauritius, Indonesia, New Caledonia, Hawaii and French Polynesia.
- Certified Yoga teacher since 2017, convinced that ecology and inner ecology are closely linked.
Carol Mc Donnell Schmidt, Chile
I am a Geographer assessing the status of birds for a more specific approach at protection initiatives within the context of climate change. My biggest passion is the amazing biodiversity Chile has. My main goal is to halt and reverse biodiversity loss and land degradation, thus supporting the UN SDG 15.
- Peace Boat Youth for the UN SDGs scholar (2019).
- Works in the environmental impact field, in the important Bird and Biodiversity Areas program.
- Advocate for Patagonia to be recognized as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Worked for CODEFF (National Committee to Protect the Flora and Fauna).
Shelly Ben Ze’ev Zus, Israel
I am a social entrepreneur and environmental activist in Israel. My biggest passion is to create an environmentally conscious society and connect between people and nature. My main goal is to be the change I wish to see in the world to ensure our planet a better future. Lead a campaign by the environmental movement in Israel to raise awareness and influence to change government policy.
- Consultant to businesses with an ecological and social agenda on creative writing and art direction.
- Blogger covering green businesses and initiatives, sharing ecological lifestyle tips and solutions.
- Volunteers at a variety of environmental organizations related to the sea, nature cleanliness and anti-fast fashion groups.
- Delivers inspiring lectures to her community and to the wide audience in Israel.